Monday 17 February 2014

New Project! The Outsiders Book Cover

Alright, It's time for a brand new project! I've decided to move away from the Music industry for a bit by heading back to book covers. Gig posters/ Apparel and book covers are two of my favourite things to illustrate and as such are what I am attempting to build my portfolio around.

I am going to begin by taking part in the first of Penguins book cover competitions, the Puffins Children's prize for 'The Outsiders' by S. E. Hinton.

I'll kick this project off by showing you my first basic thumbnail sketch for the design, you'll be able to compare this to the final Ink in the coming days just as soon as it's finished.


This is the VERY early stage of the design, basically just a guide for me so I know where to place my inks, the basic premise is down and alive in my head, these thumbnail sketches help me to get an idea of composition, ensure it works, and give me a rough idea of where to ink. this is a major step in getting a professional looking cover. Jumping right in without making sure your composition works can sometimes leave you disappointed with your results.


No comments:

Post a Comment