Wednesday 5 February 2014

Rock The Dock Poster

So I have a commission! I'll be producing the promotional posters for a small Government funded music festival in Ellesmere port. Due to the nature of commissions it's difficult to post this project in stages, so I'll be posting it all in one go just as soon as I can make it public.

So lets start with the first sketch. Initially i was told to make an 'edgy' rock poster for a Rock festival. Since there was an evident water/dock feel i decided to go with a Shark as the central image. Each stage of this post will be the progress my poster was at each time ti was sent for approval.



The first sketch passed it's approval, which i was really pleased with as I was enjoying the design, so at this stage i began to ink my design and work it up properly.
This is approval stage two, the ink work. At this point you're really seeing the whole design, the only stages after this are colouring and finalising the design. I was pretty happy with this design though, it came out really nice.

Again I was fortunate enough to pass approval for this stage of the design, and so my next job was to move onto colour, and also add in any of the info that I was given my the client.
After adding the colour the design really came to life, the blues and greens worked especially well together, i felt this was a good stage to add in some of the information i'd been given, unfortunately this had been updated since i'd first been given the job, meaning there was more to fit on that i'd first believed during the design process. However I'd managed to make the best of the space, and sent the image off for approval.

Sadly this time it wasn't all good news, the board loved the design but just not the shark (my favourite part!) so after three stages of approval, the shark was sadly removed.

So this is the poster, now without the shark, but finalised with the requested logos etc. as much as I liked the shark, it did free up a lot of space for information by removing it, so the poster was slightly re-jigged to accommodate for this.
There is only one stage left after this, which is getting the poster ready for print. Essentially I'll just be removing the watermark and upscaling the image before sending it to the client.

No comments:

Post a Comment